created a LIST: over 1 year ago
1. Sucker Punch - Snyder had the chance to reinvent the action genre with his considerable chops but overambition made the film a flat out mess. Though narratively daring and visually stunning, the film never comes together into a cohesive whole. Genuine passion for trying something innovative prevents it from being a terrible movie but half realized characters, inconsistent pacing and a haphazard plot do make it a bad one.
2. Hugo - A good film that should have been a timeless classic. The technical skill, great acting and beautiful message are all brought down by a plot structure that is broken and slipshod.
3. The Artist - Like Super 8, The Artist can emulate the silent movie look and feel flawlessly but fails to do anything meaningful or relevant with that style. Add to that a not-all-that-compelling love story and you have a serious disappointment that film school brats won't shut up about for the next decade.
4. Super 8 - Abrams' near-perfect mimicry of Spielberg's E.T.-like sensibilities fail to distract from a terrible script and lackluster "surprise".
5. The Descendants - A heavy handed book on tape that somehow became a movie. Some great scenes and performances are tarnished by a disconnected story. A good movie but not the frontrunner for Best Picture it's promoted as.
6. Cowboys & Aliens - How do you ruin an amazing premise like this? Play it uncomfortably straight and put the script through a dozen rewrites.
7. J. Edgar - Chalk this up under Eastwood's ever growing list of misses. An overlong SNL sketch masquerading as a biopic.
8. Moneyball - A sports film where math and statistics are valued over brawn and folksy "wisdom"? I'm on board. Unfortunately, a contrived third act and AWFUL pacing took me out of the film.
9. Rango - An ode to spaghetti westerns that suffers from an unfocused script and uninteresting lead. Great animation wasted.
10. In Time - Actually a pretty good movie but considering the pedigree of the director and the all-too-relevant message I expected it to be a little less sloppy.