1. The Wire - Fantastic, morally greya nd three dimensional characters, realistic police work and poetic swearing. This is one of the best shows ever and will take a lot to knock it off the top spot
2. Breaking Bad - What started out as a black comedy about a teacher turned drug peddler is now one of the best dramas around with some tense moments and one of the best ensemble casts ever made
3. Misfits - An incrediably dark but incrediably funny show about ASBO teens gaining superpowers, it's Chronicle before Chronicle was made.
4. Supernatural - Like Breaking Bad it's got better as it's gone on, a monster of the week horror show with some funny moments has grown to one of the most self-referential shows around and some genuially terrifying moments
5. The Simpsons - I can just throw this show on every day at tea-time and just watch. It has moments that still make me laugh. Who doesn't love Ralph Wiggum?
6. Family Guy - It's like Simpsons but at night, I throw this on and just watch. Love everything about this, the random humour, the forth-wall breaking and the occasional musical number
7. The Sopranos - An interesting look into the life of a mob boss, looking into the relationships with both his families. It's like Goodfellas but about 60 hours longer, of course it's great.
8. Oz - A shameless show that was unafraid to look at racism, homosexuality, murder and prison rape amoungst others in a prison where you loved or hated each vile criminal that was introduced. Manages to have stories that should last whole series be over in 1 or 2 episodes
9. How I Met Your Mother - AKA, the longest love story ever told. There's so much to love about this show, the interesting characters, the relationships between everyone and the great narration by Bob Saget.
10. Community - One of the smartest written comedies around, got so much better once it found it's footing in each of it's characters. The best moments being the parts where they try something new, i.e. the paintball episodes, the alternative dimensions and the fake clip show.
11. Honourabel Mention: Game Of Thrones - 1 season in and it's brilliant, violent, sexy, twisted and surprising (Fuck you Joffery, fuck you for what you did to Sean Bean). I'll wait until I see more series but from the books it's just going to get better.
12. Honourable Mention 2: The Vampires Diaries - Likewise I'm one season in but I'm enjoying it, a blisteringly fast pace and well-defined characters, Damon is one of the best characters on any show ever.