1. 13 Assassins - I know, it was technically released in 2010, but it wasn't released in the U.S. until 2011. I loved this movie; the period epic, the story, the characters, and especially the last 45 minutes. It's hard to go wrong when the last half of the movie is an all out epic battle.
2. Drive - what appears to be something along the lines of the Fast and the Furious on the surface turned out to be an awesome character-driven action movie. It's dark, violent, with excellent direction and performances by the cast.
3. Warrior - A great and moving story, two great leads, and a sports movie involving mixed martial arts. Tom Hardy and Joel Edgarton are great as brothers vying for the top prize in an MMA tournament.
4. The Artist - the perfect homage to cinema's silent era comes in this story of a silent film star having to deal with the introduction of sound to movies.
5. Super 8 - While this is J.J. Abrams' baby, you can definitely see Spielberg's influence in it. It's a great homage to movie's like E.T. and Close Encounters.
6. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - The conclusion to the epic Harry Potter saga does not disappoint. The final battle is exhilarating, satisfying, and true to the book.
7. Crazy, Stupid, Love - My favorite comedy of the year brings a great story, great performances, and a twist climax that I didn't see coming. It's a touching movie with a few love stories, twists, and turns.
8. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - The fourth installment in the franchise is my favorite. It has great action scenes, funny and memorable moments, and the Dubai sequence is non-stop awesome.
9. 50/50 - It's a comedy that focuses on a serious issue, but the movie delivers its message with the perfect amount of humor, drama, and story.
10. Fast Five - This movie surprised the hell out of me. I was expecting your run-of-the-mill action sequel, but this movie delivered the action and much more: story, character arcs, and how can you go wrong with The Rock vs. Vin Diesel?